Monday, 10 July 2017
11 killed during botched circumcision in South Africa
Eleven teenagers have died of botched circumcision within two weeks during the winter initiation season in South Africa, authorities said on Saturday. All the deaths were reported in Eastern Cape Province, a hotbed of circumcision-related deaths, according to the Provincial Department of Traditional Affairs. The death toll of initiates in a short period "is alarming", said Fikile Xasa from the department. The deaths occurred despite the "Zero Deaths" campaign launched by the government. Government-dispatched teams currently are monitoring the situation across the country during the initiation season.
Last year, more than 70 boys died at initiation schools and scores of others were hospitalized in the Eastern Cape alone, according to the CDFSA. In the last 10 years there has been an estimated 1,000 penile amputations.