Saturday 2 March 2019

Veteran who asked for 100 cards on his 100th birthday got thousands


A World War Two veteran who asked to be sent 100 cards for his 100th birthday says he is "really excited" to have received thousands from all over the world. A photograph of Joe Cuba holding a handwritten sign has been shared thousands of times on social media.
It reads: "I'm a WW2 veteran who will be turning 100 on 2 March 2019. I would like to receive 100 birthday cards."



So far, he has received 10,000 cards - and his birthday is still days away.
Joe told BBC News: "I really didn't expect all the cards. I got a whole bunch of them - and I couldn't thank everyone enough."
Stephanie Veitenheimer, who works at Brookdale Midwestern Community, where Joe lives, in Texas, US, made the original appeal.
She told BBC News: "I asked Joe what he wanted for his birthday and he said, 'Nothing really, just happiness,' so I said, 'Well, why don't we get you 100 cards?'"

No comments:

Post a Comment