Sunday 24 September 2017

8 diet changes to help increase your fertility


According to a study of diet and fertility from Harvard Medical School, unlike other factors that you cannot control—such as age and genetics—eating certain foods and avoiding others is something you can do yourself, without medical intervention, to help improve your ovulatory function.

1.    Complex carbs
Eat more complex (“slow”) carbs and limit highly processed ones.
Your body digests bad carbs (like cookies, cakes, white bread and white rice) quickly, and turns them into blood sugar. To drive down the blood-sugar spike, the pancreas releases insulin into the bloodstream.
Good carbs (those containing fiber, such as fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains) are digested slowly and have a more gradual effect on blood sugar and insulin. Studies have found that high insulin levels appear to inhibit ovulation.

2.    Unsaturated Fats
Avoid all trans fats and eat more healthy unsaturated fats.
Trans fats (found primarily in foods such as commercial baked and snack foods, animal products, french fries and some margarines) increase insulin resistance. Insulin helps move glucose from the bloodstream to the cells; resistance means it’s harder to move glucose into the cells. The pancreas keeps pumping out more insulin anyway, and the result is more insulin in your bloodstream. High insulin levels cause a lot of metabolic disturbances that affect ovulation.

3.    Protein
Get more protein from plant foods like beans and less from red meat.
Plant protein (from beans, nuts, seeds and tofu) comes with healthy fats and is relatively low in calories and can be helpful for weight loss.

4.    Whole milk
Consume one or two servings a day of whole milk or other full-fat dairy foods, such as yogurt, and less non- and low-fat dairy.
“We found that the more low-fat dairy products in a woman’s diet, the more trouble she had getting pregnant,” says Walter Willett, M.D., a professor of nutrition and epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health and one of the study’s authors.
“The more full-fat dairy products she ate, the less likely she was to have trouble.”

5.    Multivitamins
Take a daily multivitamin that contains at least 400 micrograms of folic acid and 40 to 80 milligrams of iron.
Women in the Harvard study who took daily multivitamins containing 400 micrograms of folic acid were 40 percent less likely to experience ovulatory infertility over the eight years than women who didn’t.

6.    Caffeine
Drink coffee, tea and alcohol in moderation, and avoid sugary drinks entirely.
According to the Harvard study, one to two drinks of alcohol or several cups of coffee or tea a day had little effect on ovulation problems.

7.    Fertility Weight
Keep your weight in the “fertility zone:” a BMI of 18.5 to 24.
Being too thin (a body mass index of less than 18.5) or overweight (a BMI of 25 or more) can affect your fertility and your baby’s health. Use our tool to calculate your pre-pregnancy BMI. Get Regular Pregnancy Updates & Advice

8.    Exercise
Exercise 30 to 60 minutes daily for weight management.
The benefits of moving more during pregnancy begin immediately and last your whole life.
For more information on when you are most likely to conceive, check out our Ovulation Calculator.
Source: fitpregnancy.com

20 comments:

  1. If some one desires expert view on the topic of
    running a blog afterward i advise him/her to go to
    see this web site, Keep up the pleasant job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article.
    I'll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your
    useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter if some one searches for his necessary thing, thus he/she needs to be available that in detail, thus that thing is maintained over here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding post, I believe website owners should learn a lot from this weblog its real
    user pleasant. So much excellent information on here :D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the efforts you have put in this, thank you for all the great content.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really a cool and useful piece of information. I'm satisfied that you shared this
    useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had fashioned to leave a comment. I enjoyed your posts.
    I will revisit,
    I have a food related blog on tumblr currently, and really need
    to boost on the content. You gave me courage to do so:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's Happening i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I've found It positively
    useful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & assist other customers like its helped me.
    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, just wanted to mention, I loved this post. It was
    helpful. Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My brother suggested I might like this blog.
    He was once totally right. This publish actually made my day.
    You cann't imagine simply how a lot time I had spent for
    this information! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post. I was checking constantly this weblog and I am impressed!
    Extremely helpful information specifically the
    last phase :) I deal with such information a lot.
    I was seeking this certain info for a long time. Thank you and
    good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this wondrous post, I am glad I noticed this site on yahoo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to to thank you for this wonderful read!!

    I absolutely enjoyed every bit of it. I have you saved as a favorite to check out new things you post?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly
    useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back
    and help others like you helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks in support of sharing such a pleasant idea,
    piece of writing is good, thats why i have read it entirely

    ReplyDelete
  16. I went over this internet site and I conceive you have a lot of superb information, saved to favorites (:.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Greetings! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers
    and starting a new project in a community in the
    same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on. You have done a marvellous job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the right webpage for anybody who wishes
    to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue
    with you (not that I really would want to...HaHa). You definitely put a fresh spin on a subject which has been written about for a long time.

    Excellent stuff, just great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for providing individuals with a very breathtaking opportunity to read articles and blog posts from here.
    It's always very great plus stuffed with a lot of fun for
    me personally and my office colleagues to visit your website
    a minimum of three times in one week to learn the latest secrets you have.
    And indeed, I am just certainly contented with the sensational
    tactics served by you. Certain 3 points on this page are without a
    doubt the most efficient we have had.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Some genuinely prize posts on this website, saved to my bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete