Thursday 30 August 2018

Clint Dempsey announces retirement from professional soccer


Seattle Sounders FC forward Clint Dempsey today announced his retirement from professional soccer. The 35-year-old concludes a historic 15-year career that saw him play for the New England Revolution, Fulham FC, Tottenham Hotspur and Sounders FC, in addition to the U.S. Men’s National Team. The former United States captain was named the U.S. Soccer Male Athlete of the Year three times and is tied for the most goals scored by an American in international play. Dempsey departs Seattle a champion, helping the club to the 2014 Supporters’ Shield and Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, 2016 MLS Cup and 2017 Western Conference title.A seven-year veteran of the English Premier League, Dempsey holds the record for most goals by an American in the Premiership and ranked fourth in voting for the 2011-2012 Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year after finishing tied for fourth in the Premier League with 17 goals for Fulham. He is also the only American to score in three consecutive FIFA World Cups (2006, 2010, 2014) and is currently tied for the USMNT all-time record with 57 career international goals. On top of his accomplishments in Europe and with the National Team, Dempsey finishes his MLS career with 79 goals and 45 assists in 209 appearances (including postseason play).
“After a lot of thought, my family and I have decided that this is the right time for me to step away from the game,” said Dempsey. “I’d like to thank all of the teammates, coaches and support staff that I’ve worked with throughout my career. It has always been my dream to make it as a pro. I’m grateful to have been on this ride. I would like to thank all of the fans who have supported me throughout my career with the New England Revolution, Fulham, Tottenham, Seattle Sounders and the U.S. Men’s National Team. Y’all have always made me feel at home, and it is something that I will always remember.”

No comments:

Post a Comment