Wednesday 29 May 2019

Israel Folau sacked following anti-gay social media post


Australian rugby union star Israel Folau has been sacked after he posted an anti-gay statement on social media. A devout Christian who has made 73 international appearances for the Wallabies, Folau was found guilty of a code of conduct breach last week, following a homophobic social media post, which listed "drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters," reading underneath, "Hell awaits you."
The controversial Instagram post in April has not been deleted.
A three-person tribunal decided on Friday that Folau's contract with Rugby Australia should be terminated.



In a statement after his sacking was confirmed by Rugby Australia, Folau said he was "deeply saddened" by the outcome.
"It has been a privilege and an honor to represent Australia and my home state of New South Wales, playing the game I love," he stated.
I am deeply saddened by today's decision to terminate my employment and I am considering my options.
"As Australians, we are born with certain rights, including the right to freedom of religion and the right to freedom of expression.
"The Christian faith has always been a part of my life and I believe it is my duty as a Christian to share God's word. Upholding my religious beliefs should not prevent my ability to work or play for my club or country."
He has 72 hours to appeal the decision.
Speaking at a press conference on Friday, Rugby Australia chief executive officer Raelene Castle added: "This is a decision that will change the landscape for sport in Australia and possibly across the world ... we wanted to make sure we took the time to get the decision right.
"While Rugby Australia accepts the panel's decision directing termination of Israel Folau's contract for his high-level breach of the code of conduct, we want to stress that this outcome is a painful situation for the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment