Tuesday 31 December 2019

Andy Murray to miss Australian Open


After making a remarkable recovery from a hip injury that threatened to end his career, Andy Murray won't be playing at next month's Australian Open after all. The five-time Australian Open finalist has been forced to pull out of next month's event due to a different injury, to his pelvis.
The injury hampered the three-time grand slam winner at the end of the 2019 season and he then canceled a pre-season training block scheduled for Miami in December. He will also miss the new ATP Cup event prior to the year's first major.
"I've worked so hard to get myself into a situation where I can play at the top level and I'm gutted I'm not going to be able to play in Australia in January," Murray said in an emailed news release issued by Tennis Australia.
"After the (Australian Open) this year, when I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to play again, I was excited about coming back to Australia and giving my best, and that makes this even more disappointing for me.
"Unfortunately I've had a setback recently and as a precaution, need to work through that before I get back on court competing."
Last January, Murray wept in a press conference when he said he intended to retire because of the hip injury.
The plan was to compete at the Australian Open and make his farewell at his home major, Wimbledon.
After his dramatic five-set loss to Roberto Bautista Agut in the first round in Melbourne, however, Murray decided to undergo hip resurfacing surgery in a bid to rescue his career -- and simply improve his quality of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment