Thursday, 22 June 2017

Dog got 15in skewer stuck in his stomach after he wolfed down kebab whole


A greedy dog is lucky to be alive after he swallowed a kebab whole and got the 15in metal skewer stuck in his stomach. X-ray pictures clearly show the giant piece of metal stretching along chocolate Labrador Howie’s tummy and then up into his gullet. Howie spotted the skewer, destined for his owners’ barbecue, as it lay on a kitchen worktop laden with chicken cubes marinated in Greek yoghurt along with diced peppers, onions and mushrooms. The eight-year-old dog jumped up and wolfed it down it in one gulp “like a sword” while owner Sue Woodward’s back was turned. Software engineer Sue, from Fareham, Hampshire, could only watch in dismay as the skewer vanished down Howie’s throat.




Sue, 45, said: “We were getting ready for a barbecue and my husband Ian had lovingly marinated this chicken. We were really looking forward to it.
“But Howie just swallowed it like a sword. Labradors don’t really chew their food so much as inhale it. It was a like a vacuum cleaner.
“He just jumped up, grabbed it from the worktop and hoovered it up. Ian had made two of these kebabs - so I whipped the second one out of the way but the first was a goner."
Sue rushed Howie to the Vets Now pet emergency service in Portsmouth.
Staff checked his tummy and did x-rays which clearly showed the skewer lodged inside him. Luckily, they managed to remove it without having to resort to surgery. Carlos Entisne, principal vet at Vets Now in Portsmouth, said: “This is the type of incident that often happens during barbecue season and it shows how dangerous some barbecue foods can be for dogs.”

No comments:

Post a Comment